Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Fascinated by Little Houses

I've been reading Tiny Homes by Lloyd Kahn.*    For quite a while I've been interested in the concept of small homes.  I've lived in a few of those.  Now here is a book about really small homes - even tiny homes.

It comes to this:  how much shelter does a person really need? Well, personally I love a large comfy home, but the idea of living in just enough room is fascinating.

In his book Kahn gives us a look at nineteen Tiny Homes all over the country:  snow country included.  The homes are shown with lots of photographs so you can really see what it's like.

If you live in a Tiny Home, how do you live your life?  Very well, though most of them seem to be outside a lot.   They have different reasons for wanting to live here.  The houses are cozy, but not cluttered (for the most part).  They provide shelter, a place to cook, and usually a place to read, though I see some computer and TV setups in many of the Tiny Homes.

One particularly clever arrangement has a TV/Computer hung on the wall.  Underneath is a small table that folds back against the wall when it's not needed.

Sorry, I can't provide a photo for you, but check out the websites. 

I recommend that you check out Lloyd's web site, Shelter Pubs or check it out on amazon.com

Happy reading. 
Marilynne

___________________
* Shelter Publications
PO Box 279
Bolinas, CA 94924

Lloyd's web site:
http://www.LloydKahn.com

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds fascinating!

    I don't have a tiny home, but I have a small-ish home (1293 square feet for a family of six). Mostly I really like it; it forces me to limit how much stuff we own and I always have a pretty good idea of what my kids are up to. The smaller mortgage is nice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow the small homes books and also the tiny homes books. They're on Facebook and the books are available everywhere.

    Living in a small house really takes some thinking about what's important and what's not. I'd have to give up my teddy bear collection and my collection of blue Dresden cats. I'd have to live in the same room basically with my husband all the time. I don't think either of us wants to do that.

    However, for those who find the life appealing, there it is.

    You might want to take a look at the Tiny Yellow House blog - http://tinyhouseblog.com/tag/tiny-yellow-house/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got me curious. I'm off to explore.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you.